As beautiful as the motherhood experience is, it comes with a lot of stress as well. When we start introducing them to the food it is just the paste food they are eating. dal khichadi paste, chapati bhaji crushed, stewed apple and carrots, mashed banana. They like it or not we just have to make them eat. But the struggle begins at the age of around one and half years to 3 years. This is the most fussy time of childhood when children royally learn to say no to everything. Its me and I will say this, is their behaviour like. I am sure everyone goes through this and learning to convince kids that they must have this food is a remarkable art that you must have.
How to convince them to eat what you want them to eat:
- Change the spice mix once a week: Instead of using a mixed spices in your vegetable preparation, break them down into pepper, cinnamon, cardamom,clove powders and experiment one week each. That will give you an idea about which taste better suits your kids liking.
- Be creative: Instead of making them eat plain roti, add boiled mashed vegetables into the dough itself and make roti or paratha out of it. This can make even fussy kids eat vegetables without knowing that they have been doing so.
- Change the shape of roti and parathas and give them some special name while serving them. This makes it more interesting for them to be hooked on to the meal.
- If kids like pasta: Make pasta with whole grain pasta available adding lots of vegetables.
- Make food colorful: If you are able to use the natural color of vegetables like spinach for green, tomato for red, carrot for orange , zucchini for yellow etc, kids tend to get interested in food more.
- Less Spicy: Going light on the spice level is better idea since their taste buds are very sensitive they can find all the taste very strong.
- Less on Sugar: Sugary food in small quantity also make them feel satisfied so it is important that you do not give them anything sugary before meal so that they pay proper attention to their major meals.
- keeping the meal timings same: as far as possible keep the meal times same so that the hunger pangs do not make them irritable which then makes it difficult for moms to make them eat.
- Sweet tooth cravings: For the little ones with sweet tooth its better to motivate them to eat fruits than artificial sweetened products as this adds good habit for future and at the same time they are better in terms of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Engaging them with food: occasional engagement with food like keeping mom and kid cooking time once a week with some fancy name for the food creates interest in the food and they get the feel of being a part of making them so they tend to eat with love.
This is all for now from my side. I am sure all the moms out there if you happen to have beautiful ideas for our help, please do share with us, and do like and share this article as well. Bye for now.