Work and pressure in corporate culture go hand-in-hand. In and around us there might be many people we know including ourselves having signs of workplace depression. We consider all other illnesses with positive approach and try to take proper care and treatment for them but when it comes to mental illnesses we turn to be conservative and either tend to ignore or hide the problem. This may not be healthy for either you or your work because it might affect your productivity. These should be taken just like other health issues and we should take care of it just like we take care of diabetes or any other health issues and should visit a doctor with proper follow-up. If the need may be, leave from work should be opted for so that problem can be dealt with properly. Signs and symptoms and result of workplace depression that you may notice in yourself or someone around you are:
- Loss of interest in day-to-day work particularly not momentary or just being worn out due to stress.
Decrease in efficiency unrelated to work pressure.
Lack of motivation.
No interest in social gatherings at work.
Repeated mistakes in work despite not much pressure.
Frequent leaves or sick leaves that are not justifiable.
Feeling detached from workplace.
Substance or alcohol abuse.
The most important thing is that we must take workplace anxiety and depression in the same way as any other problem and encourage people to talk about it. Things that can be done to help in such situation is:
- Talking to someone about problem helps in finding solutions even of depression.
Encouraging groups to help each other in overcoming problems. Keeping the discussion confidential might help in people opening up with their problem.
Small breaks or holiday may revive you of energy and help distressing. Organisations can make a seven day strech leave in a year compulsory for everyone so that they get a break.
Yoga is something that definitely helps in controlling stress levels. Organizing yoga workshops as an initiative for employees and encouraging healthy lifestyle habits.
Work rotations as corporate initiatives in office keeps away monotonous environment thus is good to deal with stressful situations.
Understanding your peers and subordinates may help them in such situations.
Seeking medical help may prevent the person from worsening as well as regular course of therapy completion just like other problems may take you back to being healthy and productive.
Togetherness can improve mental health and well as productivity. Let’s make a better workplace environment.
Work, life and efficiency go hand in hand with our physical and mental health and well-being. A lot of theories off late have focused on the importance of this phenomenon. Don’t you feel at times that working-to-live is what is important rather than living-to-work. Our lives revolve around three major things, self, family and work. It is very important to maintain a harmony between all three of them. Imbalance due to higher focus on any one of them definitely disturbs the other two without our realisation. There are a lot of factors influencing this balance:.
- Individual: The fact that this theory majorly revolves around the person itself, definitely makes individual become the central point to this balance and it is therefore dependent on him whether the balance is achieved or the scale is leaning on side.
Family: The nature, demands and the type of family is another important influence on this balance. Some people may have more commitment in terms of child care or elderly care, some may have lesser.For people family in a sense is happiness and the dependency of person on family is very important for the mental well-being. Thus in case the focus is more on work, this may create a disharmony on the other side of the scale. The time spent with the family will decrease. The quality and quantity of time spent with the family will also depend on the nature of job and the extent of focus. In turn it is not difficult to say that increase in stress may also lead to lifestyle diseases like diabetes, hypertension and may in turn cause the centre point to move further away from the balanced lifestyle.
Work or organisation: The majority of time is mostly spent by people in the office space, hence the culture of an organisation may have a lot of effect on the lives of people or employee. There can be two types of superior or bosses in the organisation namely one focused on increasing the efficiency of the organisation and the other focused on building loyalty towards organisation. This may contribute differently to the work life balance of the employees.
Social environment: In countries with rich cultural focus the demand of social life may also be one factor contributing to work life balance. Increased work load in office environment may lead to inability of person being able to contribute to social demands and in turn may lead to being isolated and unhappy self.
Implications of imbalance in work life balance:
- Personal implications: personal dissatisfaction may lead to prolonged sadness, depression and other ill effects on health.
Family implications: Greater demands in work environment may lead to unfulfilled family commitments and in turn may result in detachment from them.
Organisational implications: The increased dissatisfaction in fulfilling family and social commitment may lead to cutting down in work hours and being unable to sustain performance levels and negative energy build up.
Organisational perspective for greater work life balance:
The harmony in personal and professional life is always a contributing factor to increased efficacy. To improve this the human resources management may introduce good strategies within the organisation like
- Flexible working hours.
Child care facilities.
Elderly care facilities.
Work at home.
A good mix of employee satisfaction and motivation is a great way to increase the efficacy. Work life balance is the way of life not just a motivator but also an enhancer of loyalty being developed towards the organisation.
This one amazing pickle to taste buds and beauty to the eyes. I just prepared it yesterday and would like to share the recipe with you all. For this pickle you need base ingredients
Fat red : 4 to 5
Fat green chillies : 4 to 5
For spice mix preparation you need
yellow mustard : 4 to 5 tablespoon
Cumin seeds : 1 tablespoon
Fennel seeds : 3 to 4 tablespoon
Fenugreek seeds : 2 to 3 tablespoon
asafoetida: 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander seeds : 4 to 5 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Dry red Chillies: 1 to 2
Chilli powder : 2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder: 2 teaspoon
Onion seeds or kalongi: 1 teaspoon
Vinegar: 1 teaspoon
Mustard oil : 1/4 litre
Take a pan on the gas and dry roast cumin, fennel, coriander seeds, dry red Chillies and take it in a blender, add mustard seeds and blend into powder. Now remove the stem of the fat red chillies and green chillies and wipe them nicely with clean dry cloth. Set aside. Now in a pan heat oil to the smoking point and turn the gas off. Now add the Nigel seeds or onion seeds asafoetida, dry ground spices, turmeric and chilli powder, salt, vinegar and mix well. Slit the chillies from one side and stuff this masala mix inside the chillies. Keep them in a clear glass jar an add the remaining spice mix on the top. Now in another pan heat the remaining mustard oil to the smoking points and let it cool. Add the oil on top of the chillies and spice mix and close the jar. Let it mature for six to seven days preferably in sunlight and start using your #yummy delicious red and green chilli pickles.
Crab Curry with coconut milk is another amazing recipe you will love if you love seafood. I am sharing my recipe with you which everyone at my home loved today.
For this you need:
Crab medium-sized 4 to 5
Coriander seeds 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Garlic cloves 4 to 5
Ginger 1 inch
Tamarind 1 inch piece
Onion 1 big
Peppercorns 1 teaspoon
Cloves 3 to 4
Black cardamom 2
Green cardamom 1
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Dry whole red chillies 2
Green chillies 2
In a pan dry roast dry spices till aroma comes out and set aside. Now dry roast onion chopped coarsely, ginger, garlic, green chillies, until soft and grind along with dry spices into smooth paste. In a flat bottom pan add oil and spice paste along with curry leaves and fry. Add chilli powder and turmeric to it. Now add washed and cleaned crabs to it and fry for five minutes. Add tomato paste and fry for another five minutes. Add water about half a glass, and coconut milk cover and cook. Add cut green chillies, coriander leaves and juice of half a lemon and salt. Cook for five minutes and add two to three piece of kokam. Cover and simmer for some time. Your crab curry with coconut milk is ready. Serve hot with rice and eat with your loved ones.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Being in HR function gives a lot more time and insight into the behavioural aspects of people around us. Let us today go through understanding the different traits of February born employees so as to gain maximum benefits of placing them in the right segment of work.
Positive traits of February born employees:
- Frank. Their frankness allows them to be extremely truthful. It’s not that they cannot lie, they can, but they rather say the truth than say something that’s not true.
- They are authentic and original. People born in February are known for their originality. They believe in doing things their own way rather than following others just for the sake of it. This is what makes them very different from others. They stand out in a crowd for doing things differently.
- Mysterious. It’s often very difficult to understand people born in February and what they’re thinking. But being mysterious has its perks. It generates curiosity in others.
- Innovative. Their imagination runs wild and they have the ability to think outside of the box and it’s not surprising that a lot of people born in this month are scientists, writers, innovators, or works in any job that requires this skill.
- They are one of a kind. Their originality and creativity make them one of a kind. They prefer to be different and be known as an ‘individual’ rather than as a part of the group. This makes February borns never boring, they are unique, fun and have a great mind.
- Determined people. Their determination, self-control, and drive allow them to tackle even the most herculean tasks. It may take time, but eventually breakthrough it. The most of us only wished we had this trait. Imagine being able to do even the difficult of tasks without giving up.
- Loyal. People born in February are loyal, caring, devoted, faithful, committed, attentive and we could go on and on. The list is endless! They’ll be there for you when no one else does.
- They are compassionate and generous. February borns are the most selfless people in the world. They’re always out to make a difference and help the world. They believe in the change they want to see. People born in February are very compassionate and generous which makes them admired by others around them.
- They are strong. They are able to control their emotions without it taking a toll on them. If they do ever get affected by it, they tend to get over it easily compared to others.
- People born in February do not like to rush things. They take it slow and one step at a time. It helps them to be more logical and gain more knowledge and also appreciate the things around them. No matter the situation or the consequence. They learn from their mistakes and experiences. Most people from February are making their own way if anything others follow them.
Negative traits of February born employee:
- Although they don’t reveal much about themselves, it leaves the rest of us wondering who they really are and leaves us wanting to know more about them before trusting.
- Others will get impatient and feel that February borns are slowing them down, but it’s only because they are analyzing every single thing before taking action, not because they are lazy.
- February born is never scared to be honest. So sometimes most people think of February born as too upfront and will try to avoid them only because they’re afraid of the truth.